1 freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities; "his assurance in his superiority did not make him popular"; "after that failure he lost his confidence"; "she spoke with authority" [syn: self-assurance, confidence, self-confidence, authority, sureness]
2 a binding commitment to do or give or refrain from something; "an assurance of help when needed"; "signed a pledge never to reveal the secret" [syn: pledge]
3 a statement intended to inspire confidence; "the President's assurances were not respected"
4 a British term for some kinds of insurance
Etymologyassuraunce, assurance, from assurer. See assure.
- The act of assuring; a declaration tending to inspire full
confidence; that which is designed to give confidence.
- Whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. Acts xvii. 31.
- Assurances of support came pouring in daily. Macaulay.
- The state of being assured; firm persuasion; full confidence or
trust; freedom from doubt; certainty.
- Let us draw with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience. Heb. x. 22.
- Firmness of mind; undoubting, steadiness; intrepidity; courage;
- Brave men meet danger with assurance. Knolles.
- Conversation with the world will give them knowledge and assurance. Locke.
- Excess of boldness; impudence; audacity; as, his assurance is intolerable.
- Betrothal; affiance.
- Insurance; a contract for the payment of a sum on occasion of a certain event, as loss or death. &hand; Recently, assurance has been used, in England, in relation to life contingencies, and insurance in relation to other contingencies. It is called temporary assurance, in the time within which the contingent event must happen is limited. See Insurance.
- Any written or other legal evidence of the conveyance of property; a conveyance; a deed. &hand; In England, the legal evidences of the conveyance of property are called the common assurances of the kingdom. Blackstone.
the act of assuring
- Finnish: vakuutus
the state of being assured
firmness of mind
- Finnish: itsevarmuus
excess of boldness
- Finnish: itsevarmuus
- Finnish: vakuutus
any written or other legal evidence of the conveyance of property
- Finnish: kauppakirja
- Assurance (quality), Quality Assurance
assurance in German: Versicherung
Bible oath, absolute certainty, absoluteness, acceptation, acception, accident insurance, acquiescence, actuary, agreement, aid and comfort, annuity, aplomb, arrogance, ascertainment, aspiration, assumption, assured faith, assuredness, audacity, aviation insurance, avouch, avouchment, avow, bail bond, balance, belief, boldness, bond, brashness, brass, brazenness, bumptiousness, business life insurance, casualty insurance, certain knowledge, certainness, certainty, certificate of insurance, certification, certitude, check, checking, cheek, cheerful expectation, chutzpah, clear sailing, cockiness, cocksureness, collation, comfort, commitment, compact, composure, conceit, condolence, confidence, confidentness, confirmation, consolation, control, contumely, conviction, coolness, courage, court bond, covenant, credence, credit, credit insurance, credit life insurance, credulity, dead certainty, deductible, definiteness, dependence, desire, determinacy, determinateness, determination, doomed hope, easement, effrontery, emboldening, encouragement, endowment insurance, ensuring, equability, equanimity, equilibrium, establishment, expectation, extrajudicial oath, fair prospect, faith, family maintenance policy, fervent hope, fidelity bond, fidelity insurance, flood insurance, fraternal insurance, gall, good cheer, good hope, government insurance, great expectations, guarantee, guaranty, gumption, guts, gutsiness, hardihood, hardiness, harmlessness, health insurance, heartening, high hopes, hope, hopeful prognosis, hopefulness, hopes, hoping, hoping against hope, hubris, immunity, impudence, indemnity, industrial life insurance, ineluctability, inerrability, inerrancy, inevitability, infallibilism, infallibility, insolence, inspiration, inspiriting, inspiritment, insurance, insurance agent, insurance broker, insurance company, insurance man, insurance policy, interinsurance, intrepidity, invulnerability, ironclad oath, judicial oath, level head, levelheadedness, liability insurance, license bond, limited payment insurance, loyalty oath, major medical insurance, malpractice insurance, marine insurance, mutual company, necessity, nerve, nonambiguity, noncontingency, oath, oath of allegiance, oath of office, obtrusiveness, ocean marine insurance, official oath, overconfidence, oversureness, overweening, overweeningness, pact, parole, permit bond, pledge, plight, poise, policy, pomposity, positiveness, possession, prayerful hope, predestination, predetermination, presence of mind, presumption, presumptuousness, pride, probatum, procacity, promise, prospect, prospects, protection, proved fact, pushiness, reassurance, reassurement, reception, reliance, reliance on, relief, resolve, restraint, risklessness, robbery insurance, safeguard, safeness, safety, sangfroid, sanguine expectation, security, self-assurance, self-command, self-conceit, self-confidence, self-control, self-importance, self-possession, self-reliance, self-restraint, settled belief, shred of comfort, social security, solace, solacement, solemn declaration, solemn oath, steadiness, stock, stock company, stocks and bonds, store, subjective certainty, substantiation, support, sureness, surety, suspension of disbelief, sympathy, term insurance, test oath, theft insurance, tie, troth, trust, truth, unambiguity, understanding, underwriter, unequivocalness, univocity, unmistakableness, uppishness, uppityness, validation, vanity, verification, vow, warrant, warranty, well-grounded hope, well-regulated mind, word, word of honor